Château Palmer, 3ème Cru Classé, Margaux*
The eponymous General Charles Palmer purchased this estate in 1814 having stumbled across the region whilst making his way back home after the Battle of Toulouse. The General moved in high society and marketed his wine successfully in London. The current owners are the Sichel family and the negociant company Mahler-Besse. The vineyards are renowned for their high percentage of Merlot plantings (47%); contrary to the popular theory that one plants one’s best gravel croupes with Cabernet Sauvignon. It is this high percentage of Merlot that gives the wine such a seductive texture and such an exotic character. The estate’s second wine, Alter Ego (previously Reserve de General) is also excellent.
* Wine & vintages upon request