Grand Vin de Château Latour Premier Cru Classé *
Established in the 1670s, the vineyards of Château Latour are some of the oldest in the Médoc, pre-dating the existing Château (which was built between 1862 and 1864) by almost 200 years.
The grandiose Tower of St Lambert depicted on the wine’s label is instantly recognisable. Built as a fortress during the Hundred Years’ War in the late 1300s, it was burned to the ground in the 1450s and replaced by a pigeon tower, built from the stones of the former Château, between 1620 and 1630.
It was not until the early 18th century that the Château came to prominence as a producer of first class wines. This success can largely be attributed to the demands of a budding wine market in Northern Europe and the Marquis de Ségur’s concurrent investment in the vineyard and winery. Ownership remained in the de Ségur family for almost 300 years until 1963 when three quarters of the shares in Château Latour were sold to a British company, the Pearson group.
The intensive modernisation and attention to detail that followed this change in ownership has continued with the management of Francois Pinault, the current owner, who acquired the estate in 1993. Together Pinault and Frédéric Engerer, his estate manager, are renowned for producing exemplary yet consistent wines, which are especially fine, even in weaker vintages. This notable finesse, as any discerning consumer will attest, is an exceptional and rare occurrence.
70 % Cabernet Sauvignon
4% Cabernet Franc
1% Petit Verdot
TOP VINTAGES PRODUCED:
1899, 1949, 1959, 1961, 1982, 1990, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009
* Wine & vintages upon request